Thursday, November 17, 2011

Prosthesis 101

Meet my precioussss.... 



Type: Endoskeletal transtibial prosthesis

Specs:
- Acrylic socket with pelite liner (the fat beige part)
- 3 prong titanium socket adapter
- Aluminum and titanium socket adapter pylon ( (the robocop steel part)
- single axis foot with titanium ankle joint (covered by the shoes)

Donning the prosthetic leg:

1. Clean the stump with soap and warm water
2. Pat dry with a towel
3. Apply Contractubex to scar

       - I apply the ointment to prevent keloids and to increase the elasticity of the skin. I used to have an angry red scar on the area with the remaining bone but has since lightened to kikay pink. The stump doesn't hurt anymore and I have already accidentally banged it several time on various furniture when I forget that it was amputated (my subconcious sometimes thinks that I still have my right leg).


4. Put on socks on stump

       - I am still experimenting with different types of socks since prosthetic supplies are not that readily available in the Philippines. I wrap the stump in an ace bandage when I'm in bed to further promote shrinkage and use a shrinker stocking (the kind used by old people with rheumatism) when wearing the prosthetic. I have a problem with this because the stocking is madulas and I have a bit of pistoning when i walk. Not good, since my gait becomes abnormal. I am trying out now a Puma sport sock without a heel and find it more comfortable although it's mainit.

5. Extend knee and slide in stump, with the leg parallel to the ground.
6. Snap on velcro strap around the thigh. Make sure it's snug but not cutting into the skin.
7. Slowly bend knee and make sure the socket is snug under the knee.

    - there's a little bit of allowance between the socket and the end of the stump and the area around my knee is bearing the weight, so there is no trauma to end of the stump. Since this is just my first prosthesis and I'm a bit on the heavy side, using the vacuum type, which is the most stable and better cosmetically, is not yet advisable. The suspension in the strap type is a bit dodgy but with the right fit, I can regain my normal gait. Probably in a few months :-) I have to return the strap to my prosthetist today because it snaps off when I sit down. Sana wag nya sabihin na papayatin ko na lang hita ko :-(


Standing up and sitting down are production numbers since I'm not yet stable. My supposed "good" leg also has a femoral fracture so I need to grab on to something when I stand and when I sit down. I am using a four-legged walker, which is cumbersome. My physical therapist is training me to use crutches so I can be more mobile and we'll slowly advance to two crutches, then one crutch then just a cane. I'm training myself to take longer strides so I gain more ground. Let's just say I will not run win any walkathon anytime soon. Mas mabilis pa ang marriage ni Kim Kardashian kesa sa lakad ko.  


More updates to come pag nakalakawatsa na ko ng malayo-layo

No comments:

Post a Comment